2019 SUMMER PROGRAM
ISSJS.2019 (15th summer program) started from 12th June at Vallabh Smarak, Delhi. Table below shows the composition of the classes:
|Name of Group
||No. of Participants
||Undergraduates & Graduates
||Undergraduates & Graduates
||Faculty and research scholars
||MA (Yoga) Students of Loyola Marymount University
||High School Teachers
||Undergraduates, Graduates, Faculty and Teachers
This year participants are enroll from USA, Spain, Germany, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, Indonesia, Cambodia and India. This year Jain studies group (4W & 6W) will travel to Shrimad Rajchandra Mission at Dharampur and Naval Veerayatan at Pune. This year ISJS also introduced a new course on Prakrit language for 3 weeks, during this 3 week participants will learn Prakrit grammar to proceed their study in Jainism on the basis of original Jain texts. This group will be in Delhi. The Teaching for Peace (TFP) and Yoga group will be in Delhi and Jaipur initially. Further, the Teaching for Peace group will visit Gandhi Research Foundation at Jalgaon and Naval Veerayatan at Pune, while Yoga group will visit Jain Vishwa Bharati at Ladnun.
ICPR WORKSHOP ON ESSENCE OF SAMAYASĀRA
Indian Council of Philosophical Research (ICPR), Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India & International School for Jain Studies (ISJS) had successfully organized a Seven day ICPR workshop on Essence of Samayasāra at Shri Atma Vallabh Jain Smarak Shikshan Nidhi, Alipur, Delhi from June 4th to 10th 2019. More than 200 applications were received from all over India out of these application 33 applications shortlisted for this workshop. Click here for the report
ISJS START BUILDING A CADRE OF YOUNG PRAKRIT LANGUAGE SCHOLARS
ISJS start building a cadre of Young Prakrit language scholars.
ISJS has taken the first step by recruiting scholars, one each from University of Chicago, USA (Mr. Itamar Ramot, PhD candidate) and SOAS, London (Ms. Corinne Smith, MA) to come and learn Prakrit with ISJS affiliate for one year. Mahavir Vision Inc., USA provided financial support to provide handsome scholarships to these two candidates. Mr. Anando Ghosh (MA, SOAS, University of London) from India is the third scholar who will learn Prakrit for 1 year. Shri Firodia Trust, Pune will provide financial support to Mr. Ghosh. Their education likely to starts from September 25th 2019 at Pune with AIIS.
PROF. CHAPPLE COMING TO ISJS FROM AUGUST 15th TO DECEMBER 15th, 2019
Prof. Chapple is the Doshi Professor of Indic and Comparative Theology and Director, Master of Arts in Yoga Studies at Loyola Marymount University, USA. Prof. Chapple is coming to ISJS as a Fulbright-Nehru Scholar and he will be available with us from August-December, 2019. He will be delivering talks and workshops on Yoga & Karma in Jainism and comparative studies in Buddhism and Patanjali Yoga. The first such lectures are arranged as follows:
- One Day Workshop on Comparative Studies of Karma: on 4th Sep, 2019 at Firodia Hostel, Pune. Click here for more details
- Two Day Residential Workshop on Exploring Yoga, Meditation and Tantra in Jainism: on 6th & 7th September, 2019 at Naval Veerayatan, Pune.Click here for more details.
ISJS will be happy to schedule one such talk at your university or institute. Please contact Mr. Sushil Jana on +91-99112 22593.
UPCOMING OPPORTUNITY FOR JAIN SCHOLARS IN INDIA (foreign scholars are welcome but travel to India and back is on their own account)
- INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON ŚRAMAṆA TRADITION: International School for Jain Studies (ISJS), New Delhi in association with The Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute (BORI), Pune is organizing two days International Seminar on ŚRAMAṆA TRADITION (WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO JAINISM) PRIOR TO 650 BC on 5th & 6th October, 2019 at Navalveerayatan, Pune. ISJS and BORI invite scholarly abstracts and papers for this seminar. Please send your abstract before 1st August, 2019 to email@example.com Click here for the brochure
- ISJS-Transactions (Online Research Journal): The first issue of this year (Jan-Mar, 2019) is available for readers Click here for the issue. ISJS invites the original and unpublished articles/research papers for the journal. Articles/research papers may send through email along with credentials and area of specialization to us. You can also send us your suggestions for improving the Journal. Earlier editions are available at: https://www.isjs.in/isjs-transactions
For details, please write to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
UPCOMING OPPORTUNITY FOR JAIN SCHOLARS FROM OVERSEAS
- Winter Program: After successful completion of 1st Winter Program, ISJS happy to announce 2nd Winter Program in Ahmedabad, India from 28th Dec, 2019 to 7th January, 2020. For online application visit www.isjs.in, click here for poster.
- Teacher Exchange Program: As part of its continuing program to impart training to high school teachers, in the use of nonviolence in schools, the International School for Jain Studies (ISJS) started Teaching for Peace Exchange / Sabbatical program in 2018. Now ISJS is looking for two teachers who have already attended one of our 3 weeks Teaching for Peace program during the last seven years or are likely/planning to attend the same in 2019 summer. ISJS will also provide economy airfare from USA to India and back plus project completion bonus of (US$1000) Click here for details.
- ISJS-Transactions Online Research Journal): The first issue of this year (Jan-Mar, 2019) is available for readers Click here for the issue. ISJS invites the original and unpublished articles/research papers for the journal. Articles/research papers may send through email along with credentials and area of specialization to us. You can also send us your suggestions for improving the Journal. Earlier editions are available at: https://www.isjs.in/isjs-transactions For details, please write to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Second version of popular book Gandhi and Jainism by Shugan C Jain has been released with substantial sales already. You can buy it from www.amazon.in or write to firstname.lastname@example.org for your copy.
- National report on Sociological Study of Jain Community, a major project of ISJS is now available as e-book online at http://online.pubhtml5.com/hkhn/cwik/, please go through it and send your suggestions and comments.
ACTIVITIES BY OTHERS
- JAINA Convention 2019: Every two years JAINA and a local Sangh host a biennial JAINA convention with over 4000 guests from not only across the nation but across the world. This year JAINA will be hosting its 20th biennial convention in Ontario, California, just outside of Los Angeles from 4th to 7th July, 2019. The theme for this convention is Jain Religion in the 21st Century. Dr. Shugan Chand Jain, Chairman of International School for Jain Studies leave for convention on 30th June to deliver lecture on Gandhi & Jainism and introduce International School for Jain Studies. Click here for more details.